Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Musings from the Wine Bar of the Mind - Ya get what ya pay for! Oh really?

I have often wondered what evil thought is behind the thinking that this should be a fact. Bargains in the physical and esoteric sense are not necessarily the lowest quality and that which is expensive either continues to be a drain or may be of less quality than something a bit less on the expensive side. It often seems that, at least with respect to wine, those who insist on buying only “the expensive stuff”, perhaps as an ego thing, close their minds to a great many other taste adventures. Oh well, a fool and his money are soon parted I suppose.

I only got to thinking about this little thought while sitting at a wine bar one night drinking my lowly cava. As I mentioned in a blog a short while back, I am not generally a fan of sparkling wines, but this style really appeals to me and is very inexpensive. A gal I was chatting with insisted that she could only drink true French Champagnes. Mind you there are some very good ones there but not until you get very pricey and then I am not sure the money spent works up to the “getting what you pay for” concept. It was her choice, of course, but the lack of a sense of “wine adventure” and closed thought somewhat bored me. I will drink my cava and spend the additional on finding something else great thank you.

Of course, this leads to wondering about other things that are bargains. True friends, at least the ones I have, cost me nothing really and I don’t think I can come up with anything more valuable at the moment. Granted, with everyone running around trying to be expensive anymore, it is hard to find those of true value. Other things that cost me nothing are the spectacular display of a thunderstorm, the brilliance of a desert sunset, the hungry paw batting at me at 4am (ok, this one I really don’t want but…), etc.

So what is expensive? From conversations I have had with others and conversations I have overheard at bars, divorces seem to be incredibly expensive. I have not had the pleasure, but from what I have seen the expense is both financial and emotional and very high sometimes. I don’t think I have really been told they are something good, either. So does one get what they are paying for here?

Of course, these are just observations and I know I myself have fallen into the trap of desiring the expensive toys without understanding if I am really getting what I am paying for. I still find myself wanting the expensive toy car, but the recent decision to work towards a move in both career and location has reminded me that the expensive toy car is an expense that I cannot afford right now. It would trap me where I am now and though I am not entirely sure where I really want to be, I know it is not where I am now. So my trusty (knocks on wood) 40+mpg Civic will be perfectly fine for the moment and probably work out good a bit into the future as well.

Interesting how thoughts blend together lately. In many ways I am glad I had that little chat with the gal at the wine bar. I still find I learn a lot from others even if I disagree with them entirely. Oddly confusing that even those who I see closed in their attitudes and thoughts can teach me a bit.

Cheers to ya all!

1 Pennies for My Thoughts:

  • At 8:41 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    I bet you could pour her some of a really good but inexpensive sparkling wine, tell her it's French and she'd swear it was the best Veuve Clicquot she ever had. ;P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home