Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

More Valentine’s Day Musings: The Day After

Hey! These walls look a familiar teal. Oh, I am back at work again. Wahoo! OK, I imagine I did not have as interesting evening as most, but I still had a bit of fun with it. If Valentine’s Day is all about love, I figured I would try and do a few things I love or plan to do a few things I love. So I went to the store and got my stick of butter and cheap wine for cooking and made a nice butter wine sauce for my shark. I did consider throwing garlic into the mix but decided that since it was fish, it might not quite work. I should have done this as I remember why I have not had shark in a long time. There really was no flavor to it.

One thing of note when I was at the grocery store that I found exceptionally amusing, though I am not sure why. There were several guys in line behind me. They all had roses and some sweet concoction. This was around 7pm. Way to be last minute guys! Though I am sure it may not be a big deal to most, there is not really very much that seems romantic to me about a gift from the grocery store. Just my humbly amused opinion.

Although wine is another love, wine-based escapes are even more to my liking. As I found yesterday’s work day a bit of an annoying one, I felt I deserved one anyhow because I’m smart, I’m funny and doggone it, people love me! So anyone want to meet me in Sonoma? It is much different than Napa, at least it was the last time, in that it is friendlier, more rugged, and has actual ocean views. The drive that follows the Russian River to the coast is one of my favorite drives. Sonoma has more to do than wineries and quite honestly, even I can only manage no more than five wineries in a day and that is with a break.

Contrary to popular opinion, I am not necessarily all about the wine. Every so often I really need solitude and I was not able to get that on the cruise I just took because the (expletive) ship was lit up like a Christmas tree. Watching a meteor shower in the middle of the sea is most definitely a treat in my opinion and very much allows me that solitude. Hiking the beaches, cliffs, hills and forests in Sonoma very much helped me find the solitude I needed the last time I did it so hopefully it is still there somewhere.

The odd thing about this trip is I just told friends I would not be able to go on a ski trip to Utah with them because of money and time. Reality is, I just wanted to get away by myself as I need a true recharge and I am not sure being on a potentially crowded mountain would have done it for me. Still, they are great friends and I am sure they will have a cool time in the snow.

Now I just have to figure out how I am going to go learn me how to scuba dive, continue my Spiderman imitation, put together/participate in a whitewater rafting trip that some cruise buds are interested in, visit friends in Orlando and collect beads on Bourbon Street, all in the next few months.

4 Pennies for My Thoughts:

  • At 1:31 PM, Blogger Sascha said…

    I really like the new look! Very nice.

    I'm going rock climbing tonight too! Wish me luck...it's been 5 years. :)

     
  • At 2:13 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Go Spiderwoman! :)

     
  • At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to point out that a gift from any source is treasured when it's sincerely offered; for those of us that have heavy work loads and light budgets the 24/7 grocery store may be the only option.

    To sum up- always accept a gift graciously.

    Valerie
    "The chocolate makes it go down easier"

     
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger seaslover said…

    Personally, I would rather get a silly note or email on any other day of the year - it would be more special than "expecting" something on V-day - like it's required. I don't think it is - personal opinion.
    For the trip - would LOVE to go to Sonoma and hike and drink maybe a glass or two of wine. Never been there, but it sounds wonderful. So, after N'awlins??? ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home