Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Friday, February 11, 2005

Still haven't found what I'm looking for.... Online Dating Initial Impressions

This online dating thing can be interesting though I will admit that the most interesting thing about it is the comments I received on my previous post about jumping into this online dating thing.
There was a pleasant surprise to start. Some strange woman found my blog and offered some interesting advice. I wonder if this is sort of like those strangers offering me candy when I was a kid? Still, I could not help but take a look at her ummm… blog… yeah, that was what I was going to say… yes, that’s the ticket… Anyhow I am doing that digressing thing again. It was a nice treat to see a very attractive, intelligent, playful adventurous gal with interests ranging from the quirky and fun to the wild and adventurous. Note to self: Need to ask for one of those for my birthday! I would put in an application for her Valentine’s celebration, but I am on the wrong side of this country so maybe just a toast from afar! ;) Her blog seems a soap opera at the moment. As soon as I figure it out, I may start commenting.
Methinks this is why the Match.com profiles seem ordinary of course but… Thanks a lot!

OK, I have only been back on Match.com for a little more than a day and already I am remembering all about why I went back to the real world or at least my version of the real world. Although, there are a lot of nice profiles out there, I am not really sure I have found too many that fit what I really indicated I was looking for in that partner in crime. However, I am fully aware that 2000 characters does not allow a lot of room to indicate the variety that a person may have. As such, I am responding to those that have something I can actually respond to. I intended to respond to a lot more, but as I very much like to personalize the responses at least a bit, I have only gotten a few out (12) so far. Maybe I will be able to get more out over the weekend. Being a guy on an online site, I was actually surprised to get one back so soon if at all. It was disappointing that all the response said was basically ‘Hi There!’ and they did not tell me a story as requested. Women just don’t follow orders very well! Ummm, yeah I know, and GUYS do? LMAO It was very tempting just to email back just ‘Hi There!’ but I think I did try and say a little more so as to try and coax some story out of her…. At least ‘Goldilocks and the Three Bears’ though that one might not work as I always cry when the porridge gets too cold. I cannot have a woman see me cry, ya know!

I am thinking of putting together a template now though as I may have to respond to a lot of personals to get in ahead of the 400 other guys responding. I am thinking of the below:

Greetings (Insert Screen Name Here), you are so purrrrrrty!
My name is (Insert My Name Here) and I like to (Insert Common Interest Here).
Wow! What a coinkydink! You like to (Insert Common Interest Here) as well! ;)
How about meeting me this weekend at (Choose One of the Following: Star Trek Convention, Geeks with Chicks Rally (tell them that they would be your chick here!), Lemmings Are Swimmers Too ‘feel good’ Conference, Cattle Have Direction Too 'motivation' Conference, Big Hooters Bar, My Parent’s Basement)? We can have dinner at (Choose one of the following: McDonald’s, Taco Bell, Chuck E. Cheese’s) and it will be my treat!
Respond today and I will throw in a trip on my tricked out pink and green tricycle!
Ciao (that’s French for some Italian word) Honeybear!
Looking forward to showing you my cockroach collection!
(Insert My Name Here)

So you think that template will be good enough? :D
Thanks for all your advice all, BTW Glad to know the “code” now, but what does “Self Employed” mean? I assume it means “I stay at home all day and only get out of the house to see if the aliens have come to take me to my true home, far far away!”
It is good to know that most blondes are not blonde and that you all have also had “interesting” experiences with the online dating thing. No, Arizona does not really have an excessive amount of 20/30s women but plenty of 70/80s women if I want. Retirement meccas have their benefits I suppose. I am not sure I want to have to lie about my height as I heard those elevator shoe things are not back in style yet so no worries about me on that and I have even accepted and become one with my 5’7”ness. Hmmmm…. Mysterious brunettes and haystacks… could work!
Cheers all!



Thanks to Rawdog for this! I thought it appropriate to add it to this post.
Its just not going to work!

3 Pennies for My Thoughts:

  • At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I still find the concept of on-line dating bizarre. (the thought of us being reduced to profiles) BUt i guess it could work. Remember, it's a numbers game. You probably have to take out alot of them before you see one that kind of works out.

    And I usually always go out drinking or do something the night before a big date. Just to put the mind at ease.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Yup! 'Tis bizarre! That is why I am doing it though! I need to spice up my life lately! :)

     
  • At 10:02 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Well, that reply could come in handy if you wanted to make sure that girl leaves you alone (y'know...one of the replies that you read and say to yourself, "please, dear God, this has to be a joke....") Or if that Athena girl from SVPhx finds your ad..... ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home