Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Online Dating Revisited – Searching for the Haystack Among the Needles

Okay, note that I am finding blogging addictive!

I have decided to follow a few other bloggers into the online dating world again. It has been about 8 months or so since I last tried a date from the online world. I think I took things to seriously last time and found the experience not really WYSIWYG. Details are available and quite amusing actually, but that is probably all I need to say!
Well, let us see what happens when I do not take it too seriously then! :D

A few notes on the oddities of Match.Com. They appear slow to change things sometimes. The previous ad was just ummmm…. ordinary so I am waiting for them to actually change the text before I jump into this adventure. I will put the text of the new ad at the end of this blog if I remember. Second, the match engine likes to match me with women 5’10” or higher. Height is not a big thing to me either way, but at 5’7”, I am not sure I am likely to score a hit there… possible but… :D

OK, on to a few observations after an evening of investigating the ads of you lovely ladies. Understand that I am not at all bitter about anything, just very amused, though I am guessing it may sound otherwise.
There seem to be a few women out there wanting to get marred someday. Are you sure you found the right site? Match.com may offer plenty of guys for you, of course, so this is just an observation. Good luck on the search to be marred!
As I said the height thing is not a big deal to me. I expect that it is only fair that if guys expect you to wear those high heel torture devices, a few inches taller is necessary. I am perplexed though by the 4’10” types looking for someone 6’2” or taller. Do you have one of those collapsible step ladders in your purse for the goodnight kiss? As I could use something that compact around my house, please let me know where you got it. Really, I could use one!
When telling us guys what you are looking for, please really actually tell us! If all you say is you are looking for is a nice guy or looking for chemistry, there is not much I can really say back to you other than I am a really nice chemist! In reality I am not a full fledged chemist as I received my Masters degree in Atmospheric Chemistry so you could consider me a chemist with my head in the clouds or just a meteorologist who kept walking into the wrong classes and learned a bit of chemistry as well. Still, perhaps we can exchange electrons and talk? I might even show you my d-shell sometime, baby! (Ugh! I am reverting to bad chemist jokes now!) Seriously though, remember your ad is being read by GUYS. Granted, we may be able to read the sports section of the newspaper and some of us can read that ever challenging book ‘See Dick Run’, though more than two words can be difficult for us. Think beer me, need food, watch football, sit couch! However, we simply cannot read minds. Not that all guys want to know too much anyhow, but I actually do, so tell me something!
See, I told you I was not bitter! LOL

I find it interesting to note that the majority of women in the group I will be responding to are blonde and a few blogs ago, I indicated I am not necessarily inclined to date blondes. Perhaps I am turning a corner and becoming more open-minded? Or am I just realizing that blondes really do have more fun? ;) I am honestly afraid to say I am not inclined to date women with spiked rainbow hair now though! I may keep you all posted on my progress but here is the ad text for the intro to me/what am I looking for section. Your turn to be amused! Let the adventure begin!


Searching for the Haystack Among the Needles!

Who am I?
I am an eclectic mix of contrasts all bundled up into one nice neat package. Musical interests range from AC/DC, to Diana Krall, to Vivaldi with a bit of Reggae mixed in for good measure. I am outdoorsy and love to whitewater raft, ski, hike, and dance in the rain, but I am also the sophisticated urbanite who loves wine tastings, the symphony, art museums and deep meaningful discussions about the next great reality show (ok, this is only if I have had way too much wine). I have been known to be quiet and reflective and think about such things as the contrasts of Eastern and Western philosophy and the all important questions of why am I here, what is the meaning of the universe, should I switch to decaf and did I leave the iron on? On the other hand, I can also be the playful romantic. Anyone interested in joining me in my next set of travels let me know. ;) These include sunrise on a gondola in Venice, followed by lunch on the Eze river in Florence and a sunset beach dinner on the island of Alba. A balloon adventure over Tuscany and a riverboat cruise out of the city lights of Paris and into the glorious night sky may follow the other trip someday. Of course I can just be playful too. I am still working on my job skills as Court Jester and love Halloween because it is a chance for this adult to be a kid for a bit.
In addition to the eclectic mix of contrasts, I am also someone who simply likes to see what is out there and discover a bit. As such, though I am willing to talk about myself when needed, I generally like hearing what else is out there and what others have to say. I consider myself to be a great individual of course, a rare breed and only slightly ticklish…. However, I already know all about myself and nothing about you so…..


The title explains exactly what I am looking for though in somewhat of an esoteric manner. I am looking for someone with a wide degree of interests, experiences, ambitions, goals, and dreams. A needle is narrow in focus, small, and hurts when you sit on it. Ouch! A haystack, on the other hand, is broad, wide and contains much to discover that is not seen on the surface. The person I am looking for needs to be open to a wide variety of views and experiences as I expect someone to share in my experiences and allow me to share in their experiences. There are no sidelines to sit on here! This other person must truly wish to share who they are with me. I love listening to stories so do you have any for me? Grab a glass of wine, smile, and tell me a story about the spirit within you! And no ghost or horror stories! LOL

5 Pennies for My Thoughts:

  • At 10:41 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    If you are doing the online dating thing - you'll need this .. Think of it as a translation cheatsheet.

     
  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Wow, getting "marred" sounds pretty painful to me. Keep us posted on your Match.com adventures. I remember using that site a long time ago. It was....interesting. Hope you have better luck!

     
  • At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I figured that Arizona, with it's nice dry, warm climate, has alot of attractive younger women in the 20s/30s range.

    The ad sounds good...it describes you perfectly..marketed to attract someone with higher education & an intellectual challenge (bar sluts need not apply)

    I wonder if it's really worth doing the on-line way. Never tried it myself. Maybe it's good to throw some blondes in the mix. Go on at least one blonde date for every 7-10 caucasion/asians that you take out.

    From one great dancer to another! :)

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your ad is good, but it has been my experience that many men lie about their height. I don't have to be shorter than the man, but I would like to know so I don't wear my 4" heels on the first date. Keep us posted on the results. B

     
  • At 7:10 PM, Blogger seaslover said…

    Okay, blonds MAY have more fun, but brunettes are more mysterious ;) Good luck and let me know how it goes. As for me, I think I'm going to take the break from dating period - no online or off line anymore. Yikes! But, YOUR ad is great, it describes you well :) and I know there's a woman out there that will be your haystack that you can fall into on a spring day and wrestle around for a really good time (with or without wine) ;) Haystacks can be GREAT fun - lol!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home