Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Monday, February 07, 2005

Philosophical Thought of the Day #2: Thinking like a kid again!

My last post got me thinking about the fact that I don't think too much about my childhood and really don't think like a kid too much though I seem to try to still be the 'Toy's R Us' type if I can anyhow. OK, that made limited sense but making sense is overrated anyhow.....
Nevertheless, I thought I would try and think like a kid again for just a bit and focus on a bit on a question that is sorta philosophical, but mostly just physics. As a non-practicing meteorologist, I thought I would make it difficult by finding a question that is almost irresistible to answer in a scientifically sound manner.... Why is the sky blue?
If you want a somewhat odd-ball, but correct answer try this discussion on Rayleigh scattering that does not actually mention the word Rayleigh. Of course I tend to have more fun with Mie scattering as it is all about Mie anyhow! (Sorry bad meteorologist joke!). Anyhow, I digress...

I came up with a few thoughts and that was it! Thinking like a kid is actually hard when one, ummmm... really thinks about it! But that seems to be where imagination and creativity, and thus real solutions to real problems, start...

1. God's favorite color is blue so he painted his house that color!

2. The ocean leaked!

3. Birds must actually live in the ocean and come up during the day to scatter the ocean all over the sky!

4. Clouds are blue on the other side and paint the sky blue as they go to work each day!

5. The sun is mad at us and throws blue paint at the earth all day!

6. The sky likes the moon and stars better and gets depressed when they are not there during the day!

7. There is another ocean up there!

8. It's cold up there and blue things are cold, right?

9. I like blue and the sky likes me!

10. 'Cuz mom and dad told the sky that it looked pretty blue!

OK, all of these are very silly if not just strange, but hey, you chose to read this blog and for those of you who know me, you know what you are getting into anyhow! Granted with the above answers comes 'Why is the ocean blue?' but I just had sushi for lunch and don't want to think about such things now! And then of course there is 'The meaning of life'!

I honestly don't really feel I can think like a kid anymore after this silly exercise though I may just need practice. Fun to try in an odd way though. Any other thoughts on why the sky is blue?


0 Pennies for My Thoughts:

Post a Comment

<< Home