Deep Thoughts Only Partially Influenced by Wine

"Where there is impossibility, there is possibility; and where there is possibility, there is impossibility. It is because there is right, that there is wrong; it is because there is wrong, there is right...Thereupon the self is also the other; the other is also the self." --Zhuangzi

Friday, May 20, 2005

Meet the Parents: San Diego

Nearly two months ago I decided I need to get away for Memorial Day and end up in San Diego. I figured it would be a good opportunity to sit and people watch in the Gaslamp District while sipping a glass or two or... of wine. It would also be an opportunity to see what the Temecula wineries have to offer lately and visit some friends in Irvine without actually having to set foot in Lost Angels, I mean Los Angeles.

Enter an interesting occurrence. Match.com actually has a few good ones from time to time and it appears I have been lucky enough to find one of them goodens.
As ummmm... luck would have it she is originally from San Diego so naturally she has decided to visit her family Memorial Day weekend and meet up with me on Memorial Day to show me around and head back to the airport that day. As such, it was suggested yesterday evening that I will probably end up meeting her parents during my visit. S was also curious how I would react to this likelihood.

I am honestly not overly concerned about it though it just seems and odd thing to do at this point for two reasons: First, I have been dating her about a month and things have only really turned serious the past week/week and a half or so and my instinct-o-meter tells me that is just a bit premature. Second, I am in desperate need of even just a mini-vacation and for some reason I am not sure I will find that relaxing because she indicated her parents are very quiet, more so that she is and as a result I will most certainly be the noisiest/most talkative person in the room. Those who know me understand that in general I am very quiet in new situations unless there is wine around and given that they do not drink (i.e. I am not really comfortable doing so initially either) this could be one of those 'Is that a cricket in the background conversations'.

There are some good things though. The parents of S are very laid back and accepting. I am not sure I could call myself every parent's nightmare anyhow and so long as they are not concerned that I am not Chinese all is well. I could try an impress with what little Chinese I can still recall from a class a few years back, but given that my pronunciation is terrible, I do not want to greet them with 'May a tiger eat your genitals'.

I am impressed that S seems to be steadily enjoying wine tastings as she has gone from none, to ones I have put together at a wine bar with her, to her first official one last night. Tonight is Star Wars. Not exactly the most romantic of movies I would imagine, but perhaps she will need protecting. ;)

2 Pennies for My Thoughts:

  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Ah, go for it, anyway! I'm sure that none of her previous suitors have ever wished violence on her parents' privates! ;)

    Seriously, that might just break the ice if you speak some Chinese. Just practice your pronunciation with your new lady friend, and enjoy the weekend!

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Wo bu zher dao

     

Post a Comment

<< Home